Delicious Whole Wheat Mint Chip Zucchini Bread!
Ah! The days of summer are winding down, but there is still a lot of delicious produce left in the garden to share and to use in delicious breads like this one. I was thinking one day about making some zucchini bread and at the same time was listening to a food podcast and mint-chip ice cream was mentioned. I began to wonder if I could make zucchini bread taste just like mint-chip ice cream in bread form. That is when this bread was born.
This bread does have quite a bit of fresh mint flavor between the fresh mint and organic mint extract. I think that the fresh flavor compliments the chocolate chips in a great way.
This bread is excellent if you heat it up slightly and slather it with soft butter and enjoy it with a fresh cup of tea. That is what late summer afternoons are all about.
I hope that you enjoy making this bread as much as I do, and take a moment to savor and breathe in the fresh mint. It is so relaxing and rejuvenating. Enjoy!
This recipe makes 2 large 9x5 loaves of bread:
Whole Wheat Mint Chip Zucchini Bread:
3 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup organic cane sugar
1 cup coconut nectar or maple syrup
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/2 cup olive oil
2 cups grated zucchini
2 teaspoons organic mint extract
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
1 cup dark chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Spray two 9x5 loaf pans with nonstick spray.
2. In a large bowl, using a wire whisk, whisk together the whole wheat flour, salt, baking powder, brown sugar and organic cane sugar.
3. In another bowl, whisk together the four eggs, Greek yogurt, coconut nectar (or maple syrup), olive oil, mint extract and fresh mint. Whisk together until smooth.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Fold in with a rubber spatula until just combined. Add in the chocolate chips and gently fold in. Do not overmix.
5. Divide batter between the two prepared bread pans.
6. Bake the bread for about 45 minutes, or until a toothpick or a knife comes out of the center of the bread clean.
7. Once the bread is removed from the oven, cool in a pan for 15 minutes, then invert the loaves gently onto a wire rack to cool.
Enjoy your delicious bread! Take a break with a slice, a cup of tea or coffee and have a special break today.