Right after I picked 22 pounds of strawberries at a local Oregon farm a couple of weeks ago, I knew right there I had to have strawberry shortcake! I remember when I was a little girl- maybe 4-5 years old and my grandparents took me to a strawberry festival. I was so excited! The festival basically involved lots of strawberry shortcake. YUM! There was a building and ladies by a table ladling servings of sweet strawberries over shortcake and then putting ice cream on top. I must have eaten 2-3 servings of it all by myself. I was in heaven! I'm not sure I could eat quite as much today but I enjoy it just as much. I hope that you enjoy this shortcake recipe & remember when you were a kid and relished every bite!
Lemon Balm Scones + Strawberry Shortcake:
Makes 6-8 servings
1/2 cup coconut milk
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
2 cups gluten free flour mix (without xanthan gum)
2 tablespoons organic sugar + extra for dusting the tops of the shortcakes
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons vegan margarine or butter
2 tablespoons lemon balm leaves, minced
1. Preheat your oven to 425F. Make sure there is a rack in the center of the oven. Place a sheet of parchment paper on a baking sheet.
2. Mix together the coconut milk and apple cider vinegar in a glass measuring cup. Let the mixture sit for 10 minutes before proceeding with the recipe.
3. Mix together the flour mix, sugar, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt in a large bowl. With a pastry cutter, cut the margarine or butter into the flour mixture. Make sure the margarine or butter is well incorporated and it resembles a coarse meal.
4. Beat the eggs well in an electric mixer with a whisk attachment or until they are frothy. Add the milk mixture and flour mixture. Mix at medium low speed for 1 minute.
5. Pat the mixture into a large round on a floured board. Make sure it is about 1 inch thick. Cut rounds out of the mixture with a cookie cutter. It will make about 6-8 large rounds that you can split in half and fill with berries for the strawberry shortcake.
6. Place the dough rounds on the baking sheet. Brush the tops with coconut milk and sprinkle with sugar. Place the sheet on the center rack of the oven. Lower the oven temperature to 375F. Bake the scones for 20-25 minutes or until golden.
4 cups sliced strawberries
3 tablespoons maple syrup
Place in a bowl and mix. Let the mixture macerate for about 10-15 minutes to soak up the flavors.