The Cheery Chef has revised this polenta cake recipe so it is gluten free and dairy free.Check out all of our gluten free recipes.
Yummy Polenta Crusted Chicken Cutlets crisping up in olive oil!
I am always thinking about food, even away from my home & kitchen. So, the other day I was thinking about a new way to make chicken cutlets. To be honest, I bought some chicken cutlets as part of our groceries and knew I wanted to make a yummy dish, but I didn't know what to make quite yet. Somehow, inspiration struck while I was driving and running errands.
First, I thought about using popcorn to crust the cutlets with. I thought about popping some, then turning it into a smaller, finer grain in the food processor. However, that might be too chewy. I settled on trying out dry polenta grains and it worked so well. I love how crispy the outside of the cutlet is.
This made a great dinner alongside homemade re-fried beans, and oven-roasted cauliflower.
I hope that you enjoy this dish as much as I did!
This is another great dish that is gluten and dairy free, however doesn't skimp on flavor at all!
1 1/2 cups dry polenta
2/3 cup gluten free flour mix
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
3 large eggs, beaten
salt and pepper to taste
4 chicken cutlets
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
lemon juice from fresh lemon slices- to serve with the cutlets, if desired
1. Place eggs in a medium bowl and beat lightly. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Place the 2/3 cup gluten free flour mix on a plate and season with salt and pepper. Mix in thoroughly. Place the dry polenta, salt, pepper and paprika on another separate plate and mix together well.
3. Dip each cutlet into flour, shake off the excess. Make sure it is thoroughly coated. Then, dip the cutlet into the egg, lift it out and let the extra drip off. Dip into polenta mixture and coat well. Repeat with remaining cutlets.
4. Place the cutlets in a dish and refrigerate for 30 minutes before cooking.
5. Heat oil in a 12 inch skillet or a large electric skillet set to 350-375F. Let the oil heat at medium high heat until it is shimmering. Place cutlets into oil, about 3/4 to 1 inch apart in the skillet or electric skillet. Fry each side until golden- 3 1/2 to 4 minutes or so. My cutlets were on the thicket side as they were cut ahead of time at the store. Make sure chicken is firm and cooked on both sides.
6. Transfer cutlets to a paper towel lined plate. Sprinkle with salt and keep warm.
I hope that you enjoy this yummy chicken dish! If this recipe made you hungry, pass it on to a dinner-loving friend!