One night I wanted to create something delicious as a dinner side dish. I saw a basic latke recipe and it got my creative juices flowing. These lovely latkes are the result of this creative spark! I absolutely love when that happens!
I love the golden look and love the taste these latkes get from using yukon gold potatoes and they get such a delicious flavor with the paprika. The oats add an additional texture to the latkes as well. It is so much fun to get creative in the kitchen when the mood strikes!
I hope you will try these for your next family dinner or gathering. They are sure to be an instant success!
Yukon Gold Paprika Latkes
1/4 cup gluten free oats
1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1.5 pounds yukon gold potatoes, peeled
1/2 pound onions
1 large egg
2 tablespoons or more olive oil
1. Combine oats, salt, baking powder, paprika and pepper in a small bowl.
2. Shred the potatoes and the onions on the large holes of a box grater or with a food processor.
3. Transfer this mixture to a large kitchen towel. Gather the towel up around the mixture and squeeze it out over the sink. Squeeze as much liquid as you can out of the potatoes and onions. Once you have wrung it out once, open the towel on the counter, shake the ingredients to loosen and then gather them up to wring out the towel one more time.
4. Transfer the potato/onion mixture to a large bowl, add the oat mixture and the egg. Toss the mixture with your hands to combine.
5. Preheat the oven to 425. You will keep batches of latkes on a baking sheet in the oven between frying them to keep them crisp and warm.
6. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Test out a small bit of the latke mixture in the pan. If it sizzles around the edges the pan is hot enough. Drop 4-5 spoonfuls of the mixture at a time into the skillet. Flatten slightly with a spatula as the latkes are cooking. Cook each one about 2 minutes per side until golden and crisp on the outside. Once each batch is done, transfer to a paper towel lined plate. Then , transfer them to the oven to keep crisp. Keep cooking the latkes in batches until done.
Makes 15-20 small latkes.