I love looking at old cookbooks and food magazines. In one of my Scandinavian cookbooks a recipe appeared for an apple almond cake. It looked good, but it seemed as if it lacked a certain spark. There were no spices or other flavors other than the almonds and apples. I decided to spice up this recipe and give it a try!
It just happened that my mom gave me some small apples and pears from their orchard, so I quickly peeled those and put them in some water and honey to poach with some cinnamon sticks, whole cloves and honey. This sure made the house smell heavenly! Yum!
It turns out that my changes to this recipe were spot on, and I love the almond flavor along with the soft apples, pears and spices. It is delightfully gluten free just as it is and so yummy! My son and I both enjoyed a slice after he came home from school yesterday.
I hope that you enjoy making this lovely fall dessert for the ones that you love. I imagine that this dessert may be made dairy free by using a vegan margarine instead of the butter (just watch to make sure there isn't a high water content in the margarine) or some coconut oil.
Apple Pear Cinnamon Spice Almond Cake:
9 inch ceramic or glass pie plate
Poached apples & pears:
2 cups water
3 cinnamon sticks
5 whole cloves
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 cup honey
4 small apples, peeled, cut in half and cored
3-4 small pears, peeled, cut in half and cored
Note: You may have extra poached fruit leftover, you can save it & eat it for a yummy snack!
1. Place water, honey, lemon juice, juice of the 1/4 orange and the actual 1/4 orange, apples, pears, cinnamon sticks and whole cloves into a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Then, simmer on medium-low heat for 6-8 minutes, until the pears and apples are tender. Set aside to cool.
Batter for Top of Cake:
1/2 cup softened butter
2/3 cup sugar
3 egg yolks
1/2 cup almond flour
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cardamom
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
3 egg whites
1. Grease a 9 inch ceramic or glass pie plate with softened butter. Heat the oven to 350F.
2. In a stand mixer, beat the butter until soft and light. Slowly add in sugar and beat to combine. Add in egg yolks one at a time and mix well. Mix in the almond flour, lemon juice and spices. Set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, place the egg whites and pinch of salt. Using a hand mixer, beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks.
4. Mix in 2-3 tablespoons of the egg white mixture into the butter-almond mixture. Then, gently fold in the rest of the egg whites.
5. Place the pear and apple halves in the bottom of the pie plate. Place them core-side down. Then, using a rubber spatula, spread the almond mixture on top of the fruit.
6. Place on the middle rack of the oven. Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown on top. Let cool before serving.
If you love fall desserts, pass this on to an apple-pear loving friend!