This post is the second in a series of posts I will share with you all about my journey to create an amazing community cafe!
To me, inclusion is very important. It is just like the cranberry sauce pictured above. Without including all of the elements it's not the same. If I left out the fresh ginger it wouldn't have the same taste. It's the same with building a team for a cafe, a business or a sports team. Without everyone's special abilities you don't have a special sauce.
I believe that everyone has very unique abilities that nobody else has. That is why it is so important to me to start thinking about building my team with everyone in the community in mind. That means people of diverse backgrounds and people who have physical or mental disabilities can add a very unique and valuable element to the cafe that I envision.
I'd love to share with you what I wrote about this during a day-long brainstorming session this week:
Having a diverse/inclusive team is very important to me!
Inclusion means believing that everyone has something unique and special to offer.
Here is what I want:
- I want to provide benefits to all employees.
- I want to include people with diverse backgrounds and diverse abilities on our team.
- I want to have a mentor program, matching mentor + employee (one on one coaching).
- I want to have monthly workshops for employees to improve their skills and learn more.
- I want to make sure that there is a positive, encouraging environment for the employees as well as the customers.
- I want to make sure that there is a profit-sharing opportunity for all employees.
I would love to hear from you on what you think of these items on my team wish list. I have a vision that this will work very well & am very excited about it!
Thank you so much for sharing in my journey with me!