This summer I was looking to create an amazing vegetarian dish that would round out my menu for my Josephine meals clients. I remembered that my husband told me about the barbecue he had when he first moved in to the house we live in now, much before I met him. He said that he decided to have grilled polenta with pesto for vegetarian guests. That sounded amazing to me & so I decided to create my own version.
This is the pesto recipe that I made based on an appetizer recipe that I found. It is fabulous and so great to top many dishes! I hope that you enjoy it this summer as it is bright, flavorful and amazingly delicious!
Trista's Spinach Pesto:
Adapted from the book: Portland's Palate
Makes 2 cups pesto
2 large garlic cloves
1 cup pine nuts
2 cups fresh baby spinach
1/2 cup fresh basil
1 cup olive oil
1 1/2 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Note: You can add extra basil or spinach if you want your pesto to be thicker.
1. In the bowl of a large food processor, process the garlic until finely minced.
2. Add the pine nuts and puree the mixture.
3. Add in the spinach and basil, process until they are finely chopped.
4. Add in the olive oil and process.
5. Finally, add in the grated cheese, salt and pepper. Process until smooth. At this point you can add more basil or spinach to reach your desired consistency. Taste for seasonings and add more salt and pepper to taste.
This is wonderful on top of a creamy, grilled polenta wedge! YUM!!