Ah! I love how delicious and colorful ideas come together all of the sudden, as if in a dream! The other day I was really thinking about how delicious Mexican Street Corn is and I wondered about making a salad out of it by adding chicken to top it and including a yummy, creamy dressing!
The best part about this salad is- you can customize it. You could add grape tomato halves instead of peppers and you can omit the cotija cheese for a dairy free entree. You may also choose to top the salad with grilled polenta or grilled tofu for a vegetarian/vegan entree. The sky is the limit with this amazingly healthy and colorful salad! YUM!!
Get out grilling and enjoy one today!
Mexican Street Corn Salad with Grilled Lime Pepper Chicken and Avocado Lime Dressing:
Makes 2 salads (You may double this to make 4)
2 cups chopped romaine lettuce
2 ears of grilled corn, corn cut off of the cob with a knife and placed into a bowl.
1/2 of a red or orange bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup of canned black beans
1-2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (add more to taste)
1-2 teaspoons chili powder
3+ tablespoons crumbled cotija cheese
1. Place the lettuce on each plate. Sprinkle pepper pieces onto each portion.
2. In a small bowl combine the grilled corn kernels, lime juice, chili powder and cotija cheese. Add salt, pepper and lime juice to taste.
3. Top the lettuce/peppers with the corn mixture. Top that with the black beans.
4. Then, add a sliced, grilled chicken breast and serve the dressing on the side.
Grilled Lime Pepper Chicken:
1 large chicken breast, sliced in half crosswise to create 2 flat fillets (place them on a cutting board, top with plastic wrap and pound with a meat mallet until they are around 1/3-1/4 inch in thickness
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
1/2 tablespoon freshly ground pepper
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Place the chicken in a large bowl with the marinade. Marinate for 30 minutes.
2. Heat your grill to high & oil the grill.
3. Place the chicken breasts on the heated grill and cook, turning only once until the internal temperature reaches 165F.
4. Take off the grill to rest 5-10 minutes before slicing into strips to place on top of the salads.
Avocado Lime Dressing: (makes enough for about 4 servings)
1 large avocado
1/4 cup olive oil
1 handful fresh parsley or cilantro
1 teaspoon chili powder
2 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1/8 cup (or more) water
1. Place all of the ingredients in a food processor or blender. Process until smooth. Add salt, pepper, lime juice or more chili powder to taste. Serve on the side of the salads.