Ah! I am a fruitaholic for sure! I always am so tempted to buy and pick every piece of fruit I come into contact with- it is all so delicious! So, this past week I gave in to temptation and bought a lot of amazing fruit. However, I feel like it really went to good use in this salad.
If you love fruit like I do, or are just looking for a yummy side dish for a party, brunch or barbecue this salad is the best! I have a lot of fresh mint growing in my yard as well so I love this use for it. If you want to make some extra mint syrup it would taste so yummy in a sparkling water drink as well!
Let me know with what meal you plan to use this salad. I am even going to serve it with one of my Josephine Meals- breakfast for dinner- along with some pancake balls and sausages. Yum!
I hope that you enjoy this recipe as much as I do!
Mint and Lemon Watermelon Blueberry Salad:
Adapted from a recipe from: Food Network Magazine
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
3 large sprigs fresh mint
1 lemon- zest & juice
pinch of salt
2 cups blueberries
3 cups watermelon, cubed
Garnish: chopped fresh mint
1. Bring the water and honey or maple syrup to a simmer in a saucepan. After you remove the pan from the heat, add the mint sprigs and let stand for 10 minutes.
2. Pour the mixture into a bowl through a fine mesh strainer into a medium bowl.
3. Add in the lemon zest and juice and pinch of salt.
4. Toss the watermelon and blueberries in the lemon zest, juice and mint infused syrup.
5. Let the mixture stand for 15 minutes.
6. Garnish with fresh chopped mint.
This makes a great side dish for a barbecue or a great accompaniment to breakfast.