Oh my! As soon as I saw those glorious orbs of red at the store I was in heaven! I am a self-proclaimed "fruitatarian." I have been and always will be instantly swooning over any type of delicious and colorful fruit. Luckily this is not such a bad thing. I do get to explore what to do with such bounty. I knew that I wanted to create a yummy nice cream with these amazing cherries so I thought and daydreamed about it for a while. I imagined a re-making of a type of banana split-like dessert..all of the trappings and deliciousness, but without the large amounts of refined sugar.
With this idea in mind, I created this cherry nice cream with a yummy dairy-free chocolate topping and of course topped it with a cherry! I believe that the cooked cherry sauce that is then frozen adds an extra dimension of flavor to this delicious and amazing dessert.
I hope that you enjoy a bowl of this for dessert and share not only this yummy nice cream but the recipe with your friends and family. That is my great wish for you. How many of you are also "fruitatarians?" How many can't pass up all of that amazing fruit at the store or the market? I know I'm guilty, but that's ok. It's healthy, full of joy and colorful. Nothing could be better. :)
Sweet Cherry Nice Cream with Chocolate Sauce
Note: The sweet cherry nice cream served on its own does not contain any added sugar. The chocolate chips contain a small amount of sugar.
Makes 4-6 small servings
1 1/2 cups fresh pitted sweet cherries, cut into quarters
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
2 tablespoons arrowroot starch
2 frozen bananas, peeled
1. In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the cherries and pure maple syrup. Cook until the cherries release juices and the mixture bubbles.
2. Add in the arrowroot starch and stir to let the mixture thicken. Take off the heat.
3. Put this mixture into a container with a lid and freeze the mixture until solid-2-3 hours.
4. Once the cherry mixture is frozen, add the mixture along with 2 frozen bananas into the bowl of a large food processor. Process the mixture until very smooth and all of the chunks of banana and cherries are pureed.
5. Transfer this mixture into a container and freeze until solid- 2-3 hours. Then, you can scoop out portions into small bowls and top with the chocolate sauce and fresh cherries for a garnish.
1/2 cup gluten free, dairy free, allergy friendly chocolate chips or chunks
1 tablespoon coconut oil
Fresh cherries for garnish
1. Place the chocolate chips and the coconut oil in a small microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds, then stir. Continue at 30 second intervals until the chocolate chips have melted and the sauce comes together.
2. Spoon the sauce over each serving of nice cream and add a cherry on top for garnish. The sauce will form a "shell" on top of the ice cream. Yum!
If you enjoyed this recipe, pass it on to a friend!