I really love how necessity breeds creativity when it comes to creating recipes in the kitchen. A few days before I made this rice dish, I had been fairly busy and had not done my weekly grocery shopping. As a result I was looking to create a meal with the items I had left in the pantry and the freezer. I had bought a small package of pine nuts for some kind of experiment- an herb-pesto of sorts, but I decided they would go really well with rice. Then, I looked out in my garden and noticed my rosemary plant growing well and just knew that all of these would make a great combination!
I think that everything is meant to be just as it happens and it is such a joy when things come together in unexpected ways- just like this delightful rice dish. Have you ever put together different ingredients and come up with something that you just loved? I would love to hear about it in the comments below!
Baked Brown Rice Pilaf with Fresh Rosemary and Pine Nuts
Adapted from the recipe "Basic Baked Brown Rice Pilaf" from Simple Bites.
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped finely
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
1/4 cup pine nuts
2 cups brown rice
3 1/2 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
1. Preheat the oven to 375F.
1. Melt the coconut oil & heat up the olive oil together in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add in the onions and the garlic and saute until they are soft.
2. Add the fresh rosemary, sea salt and pine nuts. Stir and cook for around 1 minute.
3. Stir in the rice to toast it along with the other ingredients for around 2 minutes. Add the broth and bring the mixture to a boil. Stir it one time and then put a lid on the Dutch oven and place it in the oven.
4. Cook the rice in the oven for about 40 minutes. Then, let it settle out of the oven for 10 minutes before fluffing the rice with a fork. Serve as a lovely side dish for dinner. Garnish with a sprig of fresh rosemary.
I hope that you enjoy this delicious and healthy side dish!