Yummy, dreamy pudding oh my! This delicious pudding recipe idea is another one that came from adapting a recipe from my grandma Marion's old home economics/home science notebook. She wrote all of the recipes in pencil, in cursive with careful attention to detail. I love it!
I adapted this recipe to be dairy free and also to use honey. I love the addition of the toasted coconut on top and the golden color of the pudding with the addition of honey as a sweetener. It was a great hit with my son too.
I hope that you enjoy this recipe for your next party or celebration. It really is a very special treat!
Coconut Honey Tapioca Cream
1/4 cup pearl tapioca or 2 tablespoons minute tapioca
cold water for soaking tapioca in
2 cups scalded full fat coconut milk
2 eggs, separated (slightly beat egg yolks in a medium bowl with a fork)
1/3 cup honey
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
Topping: Toasted large flakes of unsweetened coconut
1. Place tapioca in a small bowl. Cover with water. Soak for 1 hour before making pudding.
2. To scald the coconut milk, place the 2 cups of coconut milk in a saucepan and bring to a boil, take off the heat.
3. Add the soaked tapioca to the coconut milk and cook in the top of a double boiler (place water in the bottom part of the double boiler over medium heat). Cook until tapioca is transparent.
4. Add half the honey to the milk and the other half to the 2 egg yolks, slightly beaten. Add salt to the milk mixture and stir.
5. Combine by pouring the tapioca mixture into the egg yolk mixture, stirring constantly with a wire whisk.
6. Return this mixture to the top of the double boiler and cook until thickened.
7. Remove from the heat.
8. Beat the 2 egg whites until stiff. Fold the egg whites into the tapioca mixture. Place into bowls and top with toasted coconut. Enjoy!