If you are as busy as I am or on the go a lot you will love this energy bar recipe! I find that often I need something I can grab quickly to fill me with energy so that I can move on to the next task, but I want to make sure it is a healthy option. These bars fit the bill! They are full of great ingredients, grain & gluten free.
I hope you enjoy these as much as I do! I also love the fact that the sweetness comes from dates and not from processed sugar.
Date Almond Coconut Energy Bars:
1 cup chopped almonds
1/2 cup coconut
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
Toast the three ingredients above on a rimmed baking sheet at 350F for 10 minutes. Remove and let cool.
Meanwhile, mix in a food processor until smooth: (The mixture will be sticky)
1 cup medjool dates
1/4 cup flax seed meal
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1/4 cup almond butter (optional, but I love this addition)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1. Prepare an 8x8 baking pan by spraying it with cooking spray or spreading coconut oil in the bottom and the sides. Line the pan with parchment paper and allow the sides of the paper to hang over the sides of the pan. Grease the paper inside of the pan as well.
2. Mix the date mixture from the food processor along with the nut/seed/coconut mixture from above in a medium mixing bowl with your hands. Make sure it is well incorporated.
3. Press the mixture into the prepared pan. Press down with an oiled measuring cup.
4. Bake the bars in a 200F oven for 15-20 minutes or until no longer sticky.
5. Let cool and cut into bars. Makes 8 large bars.
Enjoy and happy baking!