This delicious pie recipe came out of a desire to help people who have multiple food allergies. I want to bring joy to everyone's table and I am especially honored to help those with dietary restrictions. I love the challenge of coming up with these recipes.
The crust comes together beautifully with coconut oil and the apple filling is sweetened with a small amount of honey and molasses. I hope you enjoy making this amazing pie and serving it to your family and friends.
Here's to joy at your table!
1 ¼ cups brown rice flour blend (see recipe below)
1 tablespoon sugar
½ teaspoon xanthan gum
½ teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons coconut oil
1 large egg
2 teaspoons lemon juice
Mix together the brown rice flour blend, 1 tablespoon sugar, ½ teaspoon xanthan gum and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Add in the 6 tablespoons coconut oil and process until the mixture is a coarse meal.
In a separate bowl with a small whisk or a fork, whisk together the egg and lemon juice.
Slowly pour the egg-lemon juice mixture into the food processor and pulse. Add small amounts of ice water 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough is moist and clumps together.
Gather the dough into a ball and flatten out into a disk. Wrap the disk in plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour. Then, roll out between plastic wrap or parchment paper.
Brown Rice Flour Blend:
6 cups brown rice flour
2 cups arrowroot starch (or potato starch)
1 cup tapioca flour
Classic Apple Pie Filling: (for 6 inch pie, double for a 9 inch pie)
2 ounces coconut oil
1 ½-2 apples, peeled, cored and cut into very thin slices
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon molasses
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 + tablespoon tapioca flour
1. Heat oven to 340F. Blind bake pie shell by lining it with foil and filling it with pie weights or dry beans. Bake it for 10-12 minutes.
2. Toss thin apple slices with honey, molasses, cinnamon and nutmeg.
3. In a small frying pan, melt coconut oil over medium heat. Add the apple mixture to the pan and cook for 5-7 minutes, until apples are soft. Add in the tapioca flour to thicken the filling. Stir to combine. Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
4. Pour apple mixture into prepared pie shell. Top with crust cut outs or a top round crust. Brush top crust with water and sprinkle with sugar.
5. Place pie on a baking sheet and bake for about 40 minutes or until top crust is golden. Place on a wire rack to cool.