These gorditas remind me of the evenings I spent as an exchange student in Mexico. In Mexico people usually eat a larger main meal around 2-3 in the afternoon. Then, around 7-8pm there is a bit of a snack. Sometimes it is just a simple sandwich or quesadilla at home, but then on a special night we would go out to get some street food. One of the foods I loved were some delicious gorditas. There would be lots of different fillings and it was fun to watch the ladies make them quickly and cook them on big griddles on the sidewalk. That was always a special snack to have at night.
If you would like to learn about lots of amazing health benefits you can get from spinach, here is a great article to check out!
I have brought the gordita back here for dinner, lunch or a snack. I decided to make a yummy spinach filling as well. These may be made with mozarella cheese, a Mexican cheese or a dairy free cheese.
Spinach, Onion and Garlic Cheese Gorditas:
Makes about 8 gordita
2 cups dry masa flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/3 cups water
1. Mix thoroughly together the masa mix, salt and water until you form a soft, uniform dough.
2. Form patties that are 3-4 inches wide.
3. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the gorditas for about 4 minutes each side. Make sure each side is fully cooked and golden brown.
4. Once all of the gorditas are cooked, take a knife and make a slit halfway through the gordita to form a kind of pocket for the spinach & cheese filling.
2 cups finely chopped spinach
1/2 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
salt/pepper to taste
Mozzarella cheese (1/2-3/4 cup, shredded)
1. In a skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil.
2. Saute the onion and garlic until soft. Then, add in the spinach until cooked and soft. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Into each gordita pocket, put 1-2 tablespoons or so of the spinach mixture in. Put in 1-2 tablespoons of cheese into the pocket as well.
4. Place all of the filled gorditas on a plate, place them in the microwave and microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute, until all of the cheese has melted. Serve immediately and enjoy!
If you enjoyed this yummy gluten free-vegetarian entree recipe, pass it on to a vegetarian friend!